My Review - The State of Grace - (17/4/17)
The State of Grace - By Rachael Lucas
5☆ I urge everyone to read this gem!
State of Grace is a beautiful and insightful story told by Grace who has Aspergers.
It is beautifully written, Well researched and for once Aspergers/Autism has been written about.
Autism and Aspergers is very close to my heart. I worked with children with Autism and know the daily struggles trying to make sense of the world.
So when I was given the opportunity to read this beautiful book I jumped at the chance.
It was so nice to see the story told from Grace's point of view instead of how everyone assumes she feels.
We quickly come to read the teachers don't understand Grace.
Often they are not given enough resources and information to help understand.
They assumed Grace was being disruptive in class when really she was overwhelmed.
The "time out room" was not thought out well as it was too noisy so Grace felt unable to use it.
One part that really sticks out in my mind was when the teacher tells her to face the wall for being disruptive....i was gobsmacked I wanted to scream at the teacher. It's unacceptable!!
Also when the teacher tries to embarrass Grace when she hands the teacher her time out card.
Often cards like Mackaton are used in schools to help children feel safe enough to express what they want without stress and upset.
I loved Anna she was the one thing apart from Grace's horse Mabel that made her feel safe and was a constant. Their friendship was truly beautiful. I loved watching the relationship blossom with Grace and Mabel. It was a joy to see.
Grace's homelife was chaotic at times and often unsettling for her. Especially with her Dad away and her mum's new friend.
It was so nice to see Grace develop a romance too. It was a big part of the story.
It is assumed that if you have Autism then you are unable to form a relationship. While it is very difficult for some, others have little or no problems. The Autistic spectrum varies a great deal.
I would like to applaud Rachel for this beautiful, sensitive, Well researched, informative and very special book.
I had so many mixed emotions reading this book. At times it was difficult to read, but also a joy at the same time. I smiled, I got upset and angry but I felt a lot of Love and warmth for Grace. She had a lot of courage and strength even when she was struggling.
I want everyone to read this book!!
Aspergers and Autism is not represented anywhere near enough.
I urge everyone to read this gem of a book. #Autismawareness
5☆ I urge everyone to read this gem!
State of Grace is a beautiful and insightful story told by Grace who has Aspergers.
It is beautifully written, Well researched and for once Aspergers/Autism has been written about.
Autism and Aspergers is very close to my heart. I worked with children with Autism and know the daily struggles trying to make sense of the world.
So when I was given the opportunity to read this beautiful book I jumped at the chance.
It was so nice to see the story told from Grace's point of view instead of how everyone assumes she feels.
We quickly come to read the teachers don't understand Grace.
Often they are not given enough resources and information to help understand.
They assumed Grace was being disruptive in class when really she was overwhelmed.
The "time out room" was not thought out well as it was too noisy so Grace felt unable to use it.
One part that really sticks out in my mind was when the teacher tells her to face the wall for being disruptive....i was gobsmacked I wanted to scream at the teacher. It's unacceptable!!
Also when the teacher tries to embarrass Grace when she hands the teacher her time out card.
Often cards like Mackaton are used in schools to help children feel safe enough to express what they want without stress and upset.
I loved Anna she was the one thing apart from Grace's horse Mabel that made her feel safe and was a constant. Their friendship was truly beautiful. I loved watching the relationship blossom with Grace and Mabel. It was a joy to see.
Grace's homelife was chaotic at times and often unsettling for her. Especially with her Dad away and her mum's new friend.
It was so nice to see Grace develop a romance too. It was a big part of the story.
It is assumed that if you have Autism then you are unable to form a relationship. While it is very difficult for some, others have little or no problems. The Autistic spectrum varies a great deal.
I would like to applaud Rachel for this beautiful, sensitive, Well researched, informative and very special book.
I had so many mixed emotions reading this book. At times it was difficult to read, but also a joy at the same time. I smiled, I got upset and angry but I felt a lot of Love and warmth for Grace. She had a lot of courage and strength even when she was struggling.
I want everyone to read this book!!
Aspergers and Autism is not represented anywhere near enough.
I urge everyone to read this gem of a book. #Autismawareness


Comments
Post a Comment