My Review - The Food Of Love - (1/2/17)

The Food Of Love - By Amanda Prowse 

If I could award this book 10 stars I would.
I have never read a book so intense, so heartbreaking yet so frustrating, so insightful as The Food of Love.

Amanda took me on a journey and opened my eyes wide to Anorexia and the heartache and struggles this poor little girl faces on a daily basis.

I shed many a tear whilst reading this book which never happens to me, and believe me when I say I have read a lot of true horrific stories. But this one touched me like no other book has.



You can see how much time and research Amanda has done whist writing each and every page.
She mentions the Pro Ana websites and the tricks and sneaky ways in which Anorexia takes hold. One moment sticks in my mind, when Lexi puts money in her shoes to make herself weigh more.

I really don't know where to begin.
Lexi has Anorexia. She lives at home with her big sister Charlotte and her Parents Freya and Lockie.

At first Lexi's Mum gets called into the school after Lexi faints skipping meals.
Freya dismisses the fact her little girl has the start of an eating disorder, until she finds her drawer in which contains bags and bags of sick. In which she's been hiding from her family.

Then begins the harrowing journey of self destruction, heartache, family melt downs, not to mention the painfull journey of recovery.

There are many points within the book I want to shake Freya and tell her to wake up get Lexi medical attention.
But I can also see her point of view when she feels like she let her down, she bought Lexi into the world, fed her and gave her life. So she should be the one to save her.

But it soon becomes apparent Anorexia has other ideas and takes control of Lexi.

I applaud Amanda for making the story so real but showing the reader how Anorexia effects the whole family. Not just the person suffering but every single member of the family.
It consumed every single waking moment of their lives.

Charlotte, Lexi's older sister found it very difficult dealing with Lexi, her school life and trying to stay strong for her family.
There are a few moments within the book that you see Charlotte has been forgotten. For example her school trip.
Not once does she complain. But you can clearly see how much she is suffering in silence.

Lockie, Lexi's Dad was very interesting he was so strong at times, but I wished he had been stronger at times.
As you could see Freya needed him to makes the tough love decisions even though she said she didn't necessarily agree.

It broke my heart to see them struggling and trying to be United yet clearly they was on opposite pages.

I thought I knew a fair bit about Anorexia, however Amanda opened my eyes and heart.

I highly recommend The Food of Love. I laughed, cried, got frustrated, but still I could not put this book down.
I needed to know how it ended I wanted to see if Lexi had her happy ending.

I hope when you read this book it touches you the way it has done to me.

I thank Amanda and the publisher for allowing me to read this gem of a book.

Received an advance reader copy in exchange for a fair review via NetGalley


To View Book & Price on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FCZ5NXG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_p00Rzb4VH134J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game Café

Netgalley Review - The Teacher by Danielle Stewart -