Blog Tour- The Little Gate-Crasher

Blog Tour 





The Little Gate-Crasher 
by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer






On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you.....
The Little Gate-Crasher 

I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer for inviting me on the blog tour.

πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

Book Information 

Mace Bugen might have been an achondroplastic dwarf, 43 inches tall with an average size head and torso set on small, twisted legs—but that didn’t mean he was an idiot or a pushover. In truth, he was smarter than most; over the years, he learned to effectively turn what society in those days called a handicap into a powerful tool he could use to his advantage.
“When I was a kid,” he once said, “I’d ask myself, Why is that guy on the football team? Why can’t I be on the team? Why didn’t God give me the height so I could be the hero?”
“Then at some point I figured it out: I gotta do something special to let ’em know I’m me.”
In The Little Gate Crasher: The Life And Photos Of Mace Bugen, I remember my amazing great-Uncle Mace Bugen through his journey as a first-generation Jewish-American kid in working class Philipsburg, NJ to becoming the first celebrity selfie-artist—way ahead of his time.
Featuring vintage photos of Mace with his exploits, The Little Gate Crasher captures three decades of American pop culture, seen through the unique lens of Mace and his gate-crashing exploits.
Underneath his antics, we meet a complex man who continually defies others expectations and meets life on his own terms. Mace becomes a successful businessman and devoted son to his aging parents. But in his gate-crashing antics, we best get to see Mace’s unique combination of guile, cunning and sense of entitlement, which he used to engineer photos of himself with some of the biggest celebrities of his day. If people were going to stare at him all of his life, he would give them something to see.
The Little Gate Crasher features over 50 vintage photos of Mace with celebrities, athletes and politicians, including Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, Muhammed Ali, Richard Nixon, Jane Russel, Joe DiMaggio and more.




πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

My Review 


5☆ A fascinating and Uplifting Memoir

I very rarely read Memoirs but there was something about The Little Gate-Crasher that fascinated me. I'm really glad I stepped out my comfort zone and gave it a read.

The Little Gate-Crasher is a beautifully written Memoir about Mace and his life, antics and celebrity encounters.
Even though Mace might have been an achondroplastic dwarf he certainly didn't let his size hold him back from being successful.

One thing that stood out for me was the reference to him being 'perhaps the world’s first selfie photobomber' as Mace cleverly manipulated situations to capture photos of himself with some of the most famous celebrities of his era. 

To name just a few Muhammad Ali, Tom Jones, Sammy Davis Jr and Richard Nixon.
Hence where he got his name as ' The Little Gate-Crasher '

I loved Gabrielle's storytelling writing style. All her memories so personal and special.
You can really feel the love and warmth in her writing. It flows beautifully and really highlights just how loved Mace was by everyone.

I found it really interesting to learn just how people with disabilities were treated back then.
I was intrigued to learn that even when Mace passes his driving test he had a specialist car made, which is what can happen now. So I certainly learnt things.

The photographs for me made this book extra special. They was perfectly placed and I found them fascinating.
There was plenty of facts and information, especially for Mace's love of celebrities.

The Little Gate-Crasher is a fascinating and uplifting story. 

I was enthralled by Mace's story and Gabrielle done a beautiful job at capturing those memories. I feel privileged to be able to share them too.

If you are looking for a different kind of read
But wouldn't necessarily try a Non Fiction Memoir, then I definitely recommend reading The Little Gate-Crasher.





πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

GIVEAWAY 


Win a paperback copy of The Little Gate-Crasher (Open to US & Canada only)









*Terms and Conditions –USA / Canada entries welcome.  Please enter using the Rafflecopter box below.  The winner will be selected at random via Rafflecopter from all valid entries and will be notified by Twitter and/or email. If no response is received within 7 days then I reserve the right to select an alternative winner. Open to all entrants aged 18 or over.  Any personal data given as part of the competition entry is used for this purpose only and will not be shared with third parties, with the exception of the winners’ information. This will passed to the giveaway organiser and used only for fulfilment of the prize, after which time I will delete the data.  I am not responsible for despatch or delivery of the prize.

πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

Author Bio 





Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer is an experienced educator, author and speaker. At Jewish Learning Venture, she works as Director of Whole Community Inclusion and leads disability awareness programs for the Philadelphia Jewish community. Her most recent book The Little Gate Crasher, a memoir of her Great-Uncle, who overcame society’s prejudices about dwarfism to lead a remarkable life, was one of the national book selections for 2017 Jewish Disability Awareness & Inclusion Month. Gabby writes for and edits The New York Jewish Week’s The New Normal: Blogging Disability and is also a featured Philly parenting blogger for WHYY’s newsworks. Gabby holds a B.F.A. in theatre and creative writing from Emerson College and an M.A. in Jewish Studies from the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College. 

Social Media Links –


πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

Photographs 









πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about...... The Little Gate-Crasher by Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️





πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game CafΓ©

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Blog Tour - Harper’s Highland Fling