Blog Tour - The Benevolent Dictator

Book Spotlight




The Benevolent Dictator 
by Tom Trott 




On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you.......
The Benevolent Dictator 

I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and Tom Trofor inviting me on the blog tour.

πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

Book Information 

Ben longs to be prime minister one day. But with no political connections, he is about to crash out of a Masters degree with no future ahead. So when by chance he becomes fast friends with a young Arab prince, and is offered a job in his government, he jumps at the chance to get on the political ladder.

Amal dreads the throne. And with Ben’s help he wants to reform his country, steering it onto a path towards democracy. But with the king’s health failing, revolutionaries in the streets, and terrorism threatening everyone, the country is ready to tear itself apart.

Alone in a hostile land, Ben must help Amal weigh what is best against what is right, making decisions that will risk his country, his family, and his life.


Purchase Links




πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

Guest Post 

Your partner’s uncle doesn’t care if you’re an author, and he wants to make that clear to you without saying it plainly. Or it could be a colleague. Or your dentist. It doesn’t matter: if you’re an author, you’ve been in these irritating social situations. There is a certain type of person who takes your status as an author as some sort of self-declaration of your intellectual superiority. They think you think you’re hot stuff. There are a series of common questions that get asked, common remarks that get made, and you squirm as you try for the umpteenth time to come up with an answer that doesn’t make you shrivel up inside and cry. And whilst we’re all tempted to give the Alan Partridge response…


...there are better ways to respond, especially if the dentist is about to put a syringe near your mouth. So, I present you a few stock responses you can provide. It is obvious I am not a genius, and I am not an experienced public speaker; but everything I learnt I learnt from doing this wrong. So, before I write “so” one more time, let’s start with the big one...

“Self-published?” said in a way that obviously means “I’m not impressed.”

In this situation it’s tempting to try and explain why self-publishing is great, and make it clear that you have chosen to self-publish and that you could totally be published by Random House if you wanted to but that would stifle your creative expression (see previous article I have written). Instead you need to make it clear that you don’t care whether they are impressed or not, by giving them a wry grin and adding something self-deprecating but also obviously sarcastic such as “oh yes, I’m not a proper writer,” that makes it clear you’re playing along with their small-minded prejudice. The important thing is to give the impression that you don’t give a flying flip what they think about you.

“I read your book. I didn’t really like it.”

Here you need to make it clear that them not liking it is a good thing for you, but without making it personal. Something along the lines of “That’s ok, it’s definitely not for everyone. I think the most interesting books are the ones that split people down the middle.” This response also subtly suggests that plenty of other people like your book.

“Why is your book so [violent/full of swearing/full of sex]?”

Here you need to decide whether to give the serious answer or the more flippant answer, defending on your audience, so I present two alternatives. Serious answer: “Because they are a part of life, especially the exciting and dangerous parts of life, which is what I want to write about. I would be lying to the reader if I didn’t include them, and if I’m going to do that there’s no point in writing the book at all.” But if the person is not going to care about that and is simply trying to one-up you in front of your family at Christmas dinner, or to tar you as a sadist or a pervert, then go for the flippant response: “I know that for some people it’s a lot of [violence/swearing/sex], but for others it’s tame. I guess it depends how sheltered your life is.” This way you make sure to position them as a prude; basically: it’s their problem, not yours.

“Have you [been to the obscure place your book is set/spent time with a real-life version of a person in your book]?”

In the case of my recent book, The Benevolent Dictator, this place would be the Middle East. I was planning to go, but realised I did not have the money and would probable get little out of it since I wouldn’t be able to get inside the type of palaces where the book is set. Therefore I have a serious answer that you can also use even if you’ve just been lazy: “I was planning to, but I decided against it. I didn’t want to write one of those books that’s bogged down in detail, instead I wanted to make sure I focussed on the [characters/story/themes], since they are what the book is really about.” This works for a variety of irritating questions where people seek to prove you are not knowledgeable or worthy enough to do your subject justice.

“My [friend/uncle/masseuse] was thinking of writing a book.”

This is something that comes up a lot. It’s either because the person is not interested in you, or because they want to make it clear they think you are nothing special. The only correct response here is “they should!” said very enthusiastically. Anything else betrays your desperate desire to destroy all other authors so that your books are the only choice people have. If the person is being arsey you can always add something like “I think everyone could write at least one good book” because this clearly separates you (the serious professional) from this desperate amateur. But only do this if you have written more than one book, obviously.

“My [friend/uncle/masseuse] [has written a book/writes books].”

Again, you should always be enthusiastic, never defensive. Ask what their name is, what the book is called, where you can buy it, what it is about. Keep going until they can’t answer any more and you’ll give the impression that you would far rather talk about their book than your own because you are a self-confident and generous author who doesn’t need to convince this person to buy your book. For a shorter version, start by asking if they’ve read the book; if they haven’t, the conversation is over because why should you care if they don’t?

“My [book club/WI group/local library] are having a thing, you should bring some of your books to sell.”

This always conjures up the depressing image of standing at a table laden with unsold books (that you’ve had to pay for) whilst people look on you with pity. And don’t get me wrong, this is the most likely outcome. So, if you’re willing to go through that, the way to say yes is “if you think they’ll be interested”, thereby putting the onus on them, followed by “I’d love to speak to your [book club/WI group/local library], but it’s probably best if I talk about the writing and self-publishing process.” That way selling will just be an added bonus, and you won’t have failed if no one buys anything. If you want to say no, just “I’d love to, but I’m deep into writing at the moment and can’t spare any time.” That way they’ll just chalk up your reluctance to you being an arty, eccentric bohemian, which in turn will probably make them more likely to buy your book. After all, no one wants to buy a book written by an accountant (no offense to accountants).

And there you have it, I hope these are a help. If you’ve experienced any of these questions/comments, or want to provide your solutions to other problems, please let me know on Twitter @tjtrott, Facebook @tomtrottbooks, or contact me through my website tomtrott.com and together we will defeat our partner’s uncles!




πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

Author Bio 



Tom Trott was born in Brighton. He first started writing at Junior School, where he and a group of friends devised and performed comedy plays for school assemblies, much to the amusement of their fellow pupils. Since leaving school and growing up to be a big boy, he has written a short comedy play that was performed at the Theatre Royal Brighton in May 2014 as part of the Brighton Festival; he has written Daye's Work, a television pilot for the local Brighton channel, and he has won the Empire Award (thriller category) in the 2015 New York Screenplay Contest. He is the proverbial Brighton rock, and currently lives in the city with his wife.






πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about....... The Benevolent Dictator by Tom Trott 

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️






πŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“šπŸ’•πŸ“š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game CafΓ©

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Blog Tour - Harper’s Highland Fling