Blog Tour - I Am Quinn

Book Spotlight





I Am Quinn
by McGarvey Black




On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you.....
I Am Quinn 

I would like to thank Heather from Bloodhound books and McGarvey Black for inviting me on the blog tour.

πŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“š

Book Information 

My name is Quinn Roberts. I was murdered and I don’t know why.

Quinn Roberts is dead and she wants to know how it happened. She’s angry, confused and disappointed that her life is over. Most of her friends have moved on and it seems like no one cares who was responsible. Her adult children are in shock but their mother’s death is too painful, so they do nothing.

Soon after her death, Quinn’s husband, Alec, has acquired a new wife and Quinn becomes a distant memory. Only her sister, Erin, and Detective John McQuillan, who leads the investigation, continue to search for answers.

But as the case stalls, the formal investigation is moved to the Cold Case division and Quinn’s family loses hope that there will ever be an arrest.

Can Quinn get the justice she deserves? And, is discovering the truth always worth it?


πŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“š

Author Guest Post 


Where Do Story Ideas Come From — Everywhere.

For the most part, I get inspiration from everyday life, an overheard conversation in a diner; a story told by a friend’s mother about her childhood in Cuba, a tale of the last fare who stiffed him told by my taxi driver or a newspaper clipping about a local crime. Sometimes I like to put two disconnected stories together; ones that have no relation to each other and by themselves may not be that interesting but once they are co-mingled, magic starts to happen and they take on a life of their own.

I once met a couple in India who told me a crazy story. I married their narrative with a real-world event that had no connection to the couple. Once put together, it made a fascinating story. The novel that I’m working on right now is about a crime that was in the headlines in the United States. Every news show and newspaper covered it for weeks. It came up at every cocktail party or backyard barbecue. Finally, the culprit was unmasked and caught. I don’t want to give my plot away but the real-life guilty party was kind of obvious. We all sort of suspected the guy who did it was the one who did it. In my novel, I turned things completely around and said, “what if it wasn’t that guy at all, what if it was the other guy, the one you least suspected and he committed the crime for none of the reasons that everyone thought. That to me is when a story gets interesting, when it’s completely unexpected and as the reader I say “no way!” My favorite books or movies are those that I don’t see the plot twist coming — like when Lady Sybil died in childbirth on Downton Abbey — I’m still not over that one and it’s been years. I actually cried and I don’t cry at movies.

For my debut novel, I am Quinn, I took my inspiration from events that significantly touched my own life. Oddly, I have had the misfortune of being someone who has had murder touch me on three separate occasions. For a middle-class, college educated woman, who grew up in New York and sold advertising for Conde Nast; raised my kids in the country in Connecticut surrounded by stone walls and Currier and Ives Christmas scenes; having known one person who was murdered was strange and painful enough, but three separate deaths is downright hard to fathom and more importantly, tragic. Two of the three murders were solved, one was not. I learned first-hand the pain of the loss, followed by the desperation of family and friends for justice. I witnessed the aftermath of a trial and legal monkey business when the defense tried to get one verdict overturned based on a change in the law, even though we all knew the guy did it — including his own lawyer. O.J. Simpson isn’t the only one who used the system to get off.

The first murder was the younger sister of a friend from college; a lovely girl in her twenties and her death devastated my friend. The second was my brother’s seven-year nanny from Guyana, who often attended our family parties. She was a kind and gentle woman who went home one Friday and never returned to my brother’s house on Monday. And last, and the most painful to me, was my oldest friend, who I met when I was barely four. She was like a sister to me and I still miss her terribly.

My debut novel, I am Quinn, is not about any one of these crimes but more it’s based on my experiences with grief, how people respond under pressure, how cops behave, how families are divided, how true colors emerge. I unfortunately have had a ringside seat and experienced the frustration and sorrow of losing people we all cared about. When someone’s life is snuffed out so suddenly in such a violent way, it takes your breath away. All of my real-life feelings and experiences helped me craft the plot and develop the characters in my novel. I am Quinn was my love letter to all those we lost.


πŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“š

Author Bio 


McGarvey Black, a theatre major in college spent many years in the New York advertising sales business. She sold print and digital advertising and managed sales teams for companies like Conde Nast and WebMD.
Ten years ago, she left media to become an executive recruiter for large and small internet companies. No matter how she earned a living, she always wrote…for her, for her friends and family.
Two years ago, she left recruiting to pursue a full-time career writing.
I am Quinn is her debut novel, she’s written two others and is working simultaneously on the fourth and fifth. Writing has caused her some sleep deprivation as she sometimes wakes in the middle of the night with an idea and must get to her keyboard. She usually writes mystery/thrillers, but occasionally likes to veer off to her other passion — rom-coms. She believes in a ton of prep. If she does her writing work upfront and develops her characters fully, they kind of write themselves. You must always know what each character ultimately wants —that drives the story.


πŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“š

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about.....I Am Quinn by McGarvey Black

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️




πŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“š

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game CafΓ©

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Blog Tour - Harper’s Highland Fling