Blog Tour - A Walking Shadow

Book Spotlight






A Walking Shadow 
by Elizabeth Ireland




On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you.....
A Walking Shadow 
Book 1

I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and Elizabeth Ireland for inviting me on the blog tour.

πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œ

Book Information 


In 1871, Lillian Nolan accepts a small role in Macbeth, and finally fulfills her dream of becoming an actress. That is until the renowned, but venomous, female star of the production is murdered onstage opening night. When her enraged spirit haunts the theater, Lillian is shocked to discover she can 
communicate with her. Offered a Faustian bargain in which she will be given talent and expertise way beyond her ability in exchange for uncovering the killer, Lillian can’t resist. 

Her quest for the truth causes her to descend into the Underworld, the den of inequity below the streets of Chicago. What Lillian finds soon embroils her in a battle between her passion for performing and control over her own body as it all plays out in a supernatural game of good and evil.


Purchase Links
UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Shadow-Backstage-Mystery-Book-
ebook/dp/B07NQM27YG/
US - https://www.amazon.com/walking-shadow-backstage-mystery-book-ebook/dp/B07NQM27YG/

πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–

THE BACKSTAGE MYSTERY SERIES

Tagline: Life upon the wicked stage can be deadly.

Set against the backdrop of the Gilded Age, the Backstage Mystery Series stars Lillian Nolan, an unconventional member of Chicago’s upper class who dreams of a career of fortune and fame in the theater. Talented and ambitious, she possesses a hidden skill which she is extremely reluctant to use—the ability to communicate with those who have died and now live in the world of “The Beyond.” 

The series chronicles her adventures in which she continually becomes enmeshed in solving 
mysteries which often require her accessing the realm of the paranormal. Filled with an incredible cast of characters—factual, fictional, and sometimes non-physical—who either help or hinder her quest for the truth, the stories take place during a a period considered to be the golden age of both acting and spiritualism in America. 



πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œ

Author Q&A Guest Post

Does writing energize or exhaust you?
It does both. There are times when I’m working on a project and I look up and six 
hours have gone by. I thought it was about 15 minutes. At those times, the act of 
writing itself energizes me and I feel refreshed. Then there are times when I am 
working on trying to figure out something complicated that I feel as if all the energy 
has been drained from me and my brain is burning! 

What is your writing Kryptonite?
This is such an easy question. Distraction and procrastination. They both bring 
momentum and the creative process to a standstill. It’s my biggest challenge. While I 
love to write and the act of writing makes me feel truly engaged, for some reason, 
which I truly do not understand, I will deliberately avoid doing it. But once I’m 
there, and in the middle of the process, it is so much fun.

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
I can’t underscore enough the need for a writer to regularly engage with other writers. I belong to a national organization – Sisters In Crime – and get a great deal of information, support and encouragement from them. I also have a small group of writers who write in the mystery genre – although we each approach it very differently. I have received absolutely invaluable support and information from this group on everything from brainstorming ideas to editing. Our goal is to help each other to improve our own work. We also help one another with marketing and other types of issues. 

Do you want each book to stand on its own, or are you trying to build a body of work with connections between each book?
In my Backstage Mystery Series, there are three story arcs involving the main character’s personal, professional, and paranormal experiences. While I want each book to encompass a complete story, the entire narrative won’t be told until the end of the series. Each book can be read as a standalone book – but should stimulate enough interest that the reader will want to read the rest of the books in the series. As a reader, I have discovered several great series that way and particularly enjoy following characters in an arc of their personal and “professional” lives. 

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Keep going. Never give up. Discipline is a good thing. I remembering thinking when I finished my first work, how does anyone ever do another one of these? Honor the ideas that come to you by seeing them to completion. Not all ideas work, but the ones that won’t leave you alone deserve to be brought to fruition. The rest of them can go into the idea file or could be finished later when you have a better understanding or experience.

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
If readers take the time and effort to post a review, I want them to know I read them.
While I like to see what readers think about my work, I do take everything in a review with a grain of salt. Everyone is allowed their opinion, but it is the patterns of response that most interest me. When I see patterns of response where readers have particularly enjoyed something in my writing - that encourages me to keep those things in and work on embellishing them. When I see patterns that indicate my work lacks clarity or understanding – perhaps in situation or character, I pay attention to that as well. 

What do you owe the real people upon whom you base your characters?
I have to divide this answer into two parts. First, I may use, like many writers, the character traits of people I know to create my characters. However, I embellish, change, twist around those traits to create a character that is really nothing like the person I know. For instance, in A Walking Shadow, the character of the stage manager is exceptionally superstitious. I have known people in the theater who take that very 
seriously – but that is the only trait I used from someone I once knew when in developing that character. It is important to treat all your characters with integrity –whether hero or villain, major or minor. These are your creations and they deserve a “life” of their own. Secondly, since I write historical mysteries, I include actual people who lived at the time. Since I didn’t know them, I make up character traits 
that are consistent with the research I have done. However, I would never put them 
in a situation that was not consistent with the facts of their life. In addition, I make every effort to be fair to those people and treat their character with consideration and honor them for who they were. 

Do you believe in writer’s block? 
I believe in writer’s procrastination. I believe in taking responsibility for allowing myself to become distracted. It’s true that you go through periods when you don’t know what to write. You can’t figure it out. The cure for that is to write anyway. You may end up throwing it all out, but usually in the midst of it there is two or three 
gems that you may wish to keep or they generate something new. The longer you 
put off not writing because of the fact that you can’t think of what to write, the harder it gets and the longer you put it off – creating a horrible, vicious circle and engendering much frustration. I believe in trusting the process even when I don’t see how it’s going to get me out of the funk I put myself in. I trust that process. I’ve
written before, I will again. I’ve had good ideas, I will again.

πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’œ

Author Bio 



Elizabeth Ireland discovered her passion for theater early. After receiving undergraduate and graduate degrees in Theater, she accepted a teaching position in a vibrant performing arts department at a college in northern Illinois. For ten years, she taught, directed and ran front-of-house operations. American Theater History—particularly that of the 19th century—has always been of particular interest to her.

She has been a quarter-finalist and a semi-finalist for the Don and Gee Nicholl Fellowship in screenwriting sponsored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Two of her screenplays have been optioned, but remain unproduced. Her nonfiction work, Women of Vision: Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Lives, was published in 2008. Her work has also been published in a collection of paranormal short stories, Paramourtal: Tales of Undying Love and Loving the Undead. She lives in metro Atlanta with her ever-patient husband, and two quirky dachshunds.


Social Media Links –
www.facebook.com/BackstageMystery/
www.BackstageMystery.com

https://twitter.com/EbethIreland


πŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œ

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about.....
A Walking Shadow by Elizabeth Ireland

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️





πŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œπŸ“šπŸ’–πŸ“šπŸ’œ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game CafΓ©

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Blog Tour - Harper’s Highland Fling