Book spotlight- Cuttin’ Heads - 18/6/18

Blog Tour 


Cuttin’ Heads 
by D.A. Watson




On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you..... Cuttin’ Heads.

I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and D.A. Watson for inviting me on the blog tour.



💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕

Book Information 

Aldo Evans is a desperate man. Fired from his job and deeply in debt, he struggles to balance a broken family life with his passion for music.

Luce Figura is a troubled woman. A rhythmic perfectionist, she is haunted by childhood trauma and scorned by her religiously devout mother.

Ross McArthur is a wiseass. Orphaned as an infant and raised by the state, his interests include game shows, home-grown weed, occasional violence and the bass guitar.

They are Public Alibi. A rock n’ roll band going nowhere fast.

When the sharp-suited, smooth talking producer Gappa Bale offers them a once in a lifetime chance to make their dreams come true, they are caught up in a maelstrom of fame, obsession, music and murder.

Soon, Aldo, Luce and Ross must ask themselves: is it really better to burn out than to fade away?

Purchase from Amazon UK - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuttin-Heads-D-Watson-ebook/dp/B07CG8DN4V/



💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚

Guest Post 


Kiddies Reading Corner

Stories. We’re all about the stories, right? I loves me a good yarn, whether I’m writing or reading it. I would imagine that like most other scribblers who decide to put pen to paper, one of the reasons I caught the literary bug is because I was surrounded by stories growing up.

I was raised by my aunt and grandparents, and my grandad was a former captain of the local Boys’ Brigade. This gave him an endless store of campfire ghost stories, and for some reason, a pretty extensive knowledge of Greek mythology. I always remember him combining the two forms to create some pretty mental stories, which he’d regale me with while getting me ready for school in the mornings. It was also my grandad who first took me to the local library. My aunt was also quite the tale spinner, and I recall her made up bedtime stories that always started with me climbing the big fir tree which grew at the bottom of our garden, and inevitably led to me travelling to the land of Nutwood and having adventures with Noddy, Big Ears and Rupert the Bear.

Then there were the actual books. Piles of them. My grandfather was big into his adventure and western novels, and there was always a teetering stack of paperbacks next to his armchair where he’d pass his days reading, chain smoking and watching football. With all these stories floating around, I was soon finding my own way into the world of the written word. 
Anyhoo, here’s three of my favourite reads from my years in short pants. 



The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis



I can’t remember if I saw the 1979 animated version of this classic piece of sword and sorcery fiction, or read the book first. Probably the former. In any case, it’s one of the few pieces of fiction I’ve read multiple times. As a nipper, like all the generations of other weans before me who’d gotten lost in the snowy wilderness of Narnia, I was a sucker for the adventures of Lucy, Peter, Susan and Edmund (the Turkish Delight scoffing dick!). Like a lot of children’s literature, looking back on it now, there was some pretty messed up stuff going on in Narnia, like Santa giving children edged weapons as Christmas presents, which I thought was awesome when I was eight years old. Bows, Swords and daggers certainly made the He-Man and Star Wars figures I usually found under the Xmas tree seem a bit lame by comparison. What a great book though. Epic battles, evil wolves, an even more evil witch, heroic beavers and a Christ-like Lion. Like all the greats, it’s timeless, evidenced by the fact they were still making movies out of it decades later. I wonder if kids today have as healthy a respect as I did for old wardrobes and Turkish Delight? 



The BFG by Roald Dahl


Another classic that merited multiple reads, I recently read The BFG to my seven-year-old son, and was struck by how gory some of the parts are. No shit, Sherlock, I hear you cry. It is after all a story about giants snatching children from their beds in the dead of night and eating them alive. Still though. Dahl does have a bit of a reputation for writing some pretty dark stuff in his children’s books, (my son refused to let me read him The Witches after the main character’s parents were killed in a car crash at about page seven) and I think The BFG has to be the freakiest of the lot. Even the parts without the evil Fleshlumpeater, Gizzardgulper, Maidmasher and co. can be quite eerie. I always remember being totally creeped out by the “witching hour” described in the first chapter, when wee Sophie first sees a twenty-four foot shadow creeping up the street outside her orphanage window. Some freaky shit there, Mr Dahl. 



Killer Crabs by Guy N Smith



Yeah, bit of a curveball there. Like I said, there was always a big stack of books teetering next to my grandad’s armchair, and alongside his beloved western and adventure novels, there were one or two trashy horror and pulp titles in amongst the pile. Killer Crabs was in that pile, and at about the age of twelve, was the first real horror novel I ever read cover to cover. The cover, depicting an enormous crustacean walking through a swamp with its bloody pincers in the air, was like catnip to young eyes, which had by that point already witnessed all sorts of monsters via the horror movie boom of the eighties. When I actually read it though… holy crap! It was a bit of a step up from Santa handing out Yuletide blades in Narnia. The graphically written slaughter of the crabs’ screaming victims, the detailed raunchiness of the sex scenes, the bad language and gonzo action… It all got a pincer tight hold of me, and struck a spark that my previous reading material hadn’t, to the point I took the book to school with me and would sneak a few chapters in during English class while my teacher waffled on about whatever much less interesting book was in her lesson plan. I never looked back after finishing Killer Crabs. When I’d finished it, I remember going straight back to my grandad’s reading pile and rummaging through it for another book that had caught my eye. One with a big freaky yellow toothed rat on the cover, written by some guy called James Herbert… 


💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚

Giveaway


Giveaway – Win a signed copy of
Cuttin’ Heads








*Terms and Conditions –Please enter using the Rafflecopter box below.  The winner will be selected at random via Rafflecopter from all valid entries and will be notified by Twitter and/or email. If no response is received within 7 days then I reserve the right to select an alternative winner. Open to all entrants aged 18 or over.  Any personal data given as part of the competition entry is used for this purpose only and will not be shared with third parties, with the exception of the winners’ information. This will passed to the giveaway organiser and used only for fulfilment of the prize, after which time I will delete the data.  I am not responsible for despatch or delivery of the prize.


💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚

Author Bio 




Prizewinning author D.A. Watson spent several years working in bars, restaurants and call centres before going back to university with the half-arsed plan of becoming a music teacher. Halfway through his degree at the University of Glasgow, he discovered he was actually better at writing, and unleashed his debut novel, In the Devil's Name, on an unsuspecting public in the summer of 2012. Plans of a career in education left firmly in the dust, he later gained his masters degree in Creative Writing from the University of Stirling. 

He has since published two more novels, The Wolves of Langabhat and Cuttin’ Heads, a handful of non-fiction pieces, several short stories including Durty Diana, which was nominated for a Pushcart Prize in 2016, and the Burns parody Tam O' Shatner, which in 2017 came runner up in the Dunedin Robert Burns Poetry Competition, and was a competition winner at the Falkirk Storytelling Festival.
He lives with his family in Western Scotland.
"The Christoper Brookmyre of horror. Readers will be very very afraid." 
- Louise Welsh, bestselling author of the Plague Times trilogy

Social Media Links –



💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about...... Cuttin’ Heads by D.A. Watson.

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️





💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game Café

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Blog Tour - Harper’s Highland Fling