Blog Tour- I Never Lie - 27/6/18
Blog Tour
3☆ A Good read
I Never Lie is a story about an alcoholic Journalist who is trying to make something of her career again.
When she makes a break through, when a girl is found murdered in her area, she persuaded the tv station to let her work the case.
I didn't particularly like the main character.
I found her slightly annoying. I also didn't like the fact she was using random men for sex so she could get pregnant. I don't really think it added to the story and certainly didn't portray her in the best light.
I was slightly confused at first as it started very randomly.
I really missed the crime involvement with this book. It mainly centered around alcohol which is fine I would of preferred less.
I would of liked more of a story.
I like my crime thrillers to be gritty and the story to be more involved so you feel part of the case.
I didn't dislike I Never Lie, it was a good read. The ending was really good. Just wish there was more detective work involved.
I do however think this book will appeal to other readers.
I Never Lie
by Jody Sabral
On my blog today I have the pleasure of sharing with you......
I Never Lie
I would like to thank Ellie Pitcher at Canelo and Jody Sabral for inviting me on the
blog tour.
📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚
Book Information
Is she the next victim? Or is she the culprit…?
Alex South is a high-functioning alcoholic who is teetering on the brink of oblivion. Her career as a television journalist is hanging by a thread since a drunken on-air rant. When a series of murders occur within a couple of miles of her East London home she is given another chance to prove her skill and report the unfolding events. She thinks she can control the drinking, but soon she finds gaping holes in her memory, and wakes to find she’s done things she can’t recall. As the story she’s covering starts to creep into her own life, is Alex a danger only to herself – or to others?
This gripping psychological thriller is perfect for fans of Fiona Barton, B A Paris and Clare Mackintosh.
Links to Book:
💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕
My Review
3☆ A Good read
I Never Lie is a story about an alcoholic Journalist who is trying to make something of her career again.
When she makes a break through, when a girl is found murdered in her area, she persuaded the tv station to let her work the case.
I didn't particularly like the main character.
I found her slightly annoying. I also didn't like the fact she was using random men for sex so she could get pregnant. I don't really think it added to the story and certainly didn't portray her in the best light.
I was slightly confused at first as it started very randomly.
I really missed the crime involvement with this book. It mainly centered around alcohol which is fine I would of preferred less.
I would of liked more of a story.
I like my crime thrillers to be gritty and the story to be more involved so you feel part of the case.
I didn't dislike I Never Lie, it was a good read. The ending was really good. Just wish there was more detective work involved.
I do however think this book will appeal to other readers.
💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕
Book Extract
8
It has been a long day and it’s not quite over yet, such is the life chasing a big story. It’s okay, though; it’s a buzz and helps distract me from the voice in my head that wants another drink.
I left Audrey and Jack gathering interviews with locals and went to King’s Hall pool and gym to see if I could find out anything on the membership card. It also gave me a much-needed breather from the crew, as my head is still pounding. I need to drink some serious amounts of water today.
Visiting the gym turned out to be pointless. It’s a card with no name or address on it. The receptionist was really nice but I felt like a bit of an idiot if truth be told, because she couldn’t tell me if anyone had reported their card lost. She said that even if she could, it would be inconclusive. Many people lose their cards and replace them apparently. She said she really wouldn’t know where to start. It could be an old card for all she knew.
So I find myself sitting in a pub with a glass of wine on the table. I really didn’t mean to do it, but here I am. I don’t drink all the time. I have periods when I’m more prone to it than others. And it just so happens that this story broke while I was in the middle of one of my drinking weeks.
I can control it, though. I can detox, then get dry again. That’s what I do. I can wean myself off it by reducing the amount I consume. It’s just a physical addiction, you see. But that will have to wait until tomorrow, because it’ll totally wipe me out and I can’t afford for that to happen while I’ve got a top story to report on. It’s really important that I get this right, which means that for now, I just need to have enough alcohol in my blood to keep me going. Tomorrow the story will die down and I’ll be able to nip this in the bud once and for all. This time I’m going to make it stick. Being on the lunchtime bulletin was a wake-up call and I do really want to be someone in my career. I have another chance and I’m not going to blow it this time round.
Audrey has just texted me to say she’s had a tip from her source at the Met that they might name the victim soon, so we should be prepared. UKBC’s rolling news channel will be keen to have us live as soon as that breaks. The lunchtime and evening bulletins are the flagship programmes that every reporter wants to be on, but the channel never stops, which means there will be no let-up if the story continues to develop. I need to get my head straight, so I finish the wine and go and buy some chewing gum to disguise what I’ve been up to.
As I’m leaving the shop, I get another text from Audrey to say they are about to name the victim and I should get back to the park so we can go live with it. Shit. Right. I shouldn’t have sat down, really, because it’s made me feel tired. My body is hurting; muscles I didn’t even know existed aching. I really need to get back to the gym once I’m dry this time around. I mean, if a one-night stand can make me feel this achy, what would happen if I got pregnant? I need to be stronger.
Audrey is calling.
‘Alex, where are you? We need to be live in twenty minutes. Can you make it?’
‘Hi, Audrey. Don’t panic. I’m only five minutes away. I’ll be there in a mo.’
I hang up and pick up the pace. She has been listening to gossip in the news centre, I suppose, and is worried that I’m unreliable. It’s not fair that I’m still living in the shadow of what happened. I mean, am I ever going to live that down? It was one incident. I’m going to have to prove them all wrong. I’m good at what I do. People make mistakes, don’t they? I am only human after all.
When I get to the park, Jack wires me up while Audrey paces up and down nervously with her headphones on.
‘I’m listening to a press conference from the Met. DI Brook left here shortly after you went to check out your lead. He’s going to make the announcement outside the police station.’
‘What?’ This makes me a bit angry, as that’s where I’ve just come from. Hackney. ‘Why aren’t we there?’ I’m looking at both Jack and Audrey now. ‘I mean, why are we in the park when he’s making the statement at the station? It’s only a ten-minute walk from here.’
‘We weren’t sure where you were, Alex. Anyway, it’s too late now. Plus I’m set up for here. We know the signal works. There’s still a crime scene behind you. I think it’ll be fine. The agencies are there covering his statement.’
‘Okay.’
I’m feeling a bit ratty now, but Audrey has given me one of her headphones so I can listen to the presser. She has cleverly got the news centre to play it down the line from the gallery. I like Audrey. She’s resourceful. DI Brook has just started talking.
‘We are appealing to Sarah Wilcox, a woman who we believe probably lives in the local area, to come forward to the police. A gym card belonging to her was found near the body and we’d like to rule her out of our enquiries, so I ask you, Miss Wilcox, to get in touch by calling the helpline on the screen. That’s all the information we have at this moment. Thank you.’
I’m a bit thrown, as we thought the police would announce the name of the victim, but instead they have issued the name of someone wanted in connection. I feel like I could throw up, and I’m not sure whether it’s my hangover or the fact that I’m not properly prepared, having been given the wrong information by my producer.
Embarrassed, Audrey pulls the headphone away from me while Jack stares down his viewfinder. A voice in my earpiece asks if I’m ready, which I am, I guess. It’s now or never. I don’t have a lot to go on and I feel really ill. I can hear the presenter explaining to our viewers that the police have released the name of someone potentially connected to the crime, before asking me for an update from the scene.
‘Yes, that’s right, Jane, the police have just given us the name of someone who they believe may be potentially connected to the crime, a Sarah Wilcox. They say they got this name from a gym card found near the body. They haven’t gone as far as to say they believe she is a suspect, but it would seem they think she might know something that could help the investigation. We don’t have much more information than that at this point. They were quick to release this name, though, so they must think it’s important.’
‘Indeed, Alex. Let’s hope it does help their investigation, as you say, I imagine it’s very worrying for the residents of east London. Alex South, thank you.’
The news bulletin has moved on.
‘Nice work, Alex!’
💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕
Author Bio
Jody Sabral is based between the South Coast and London, where she works as a Foreign Desk editor and video producer at the BBC. She is a graduate of the MA in Crime Fiction at City University, London.
Jody worked as a journalist in Turkey for ten years, covering the region for various international broadcasters.
She self-published her first book Changing Borders in 2012 and won the CWA Debut Dagger in 2014 for her second novel The Movement. In addition to working for the BBC, Jody also writes for the Huffington Post, Al–Monitor and Brics Post.
Author Social Media Links:-
Twitter: @jsabral
💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕
If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about...... I Never Lie by Jody Sabral
You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️
#INeverLie
💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕📚💕



Comments
Post a Comment