Blog Tour - Tall Chimneys - (14/12/17)
Blog Tour
Her desertion will spell its demise, but saving Tall Chimneys could mean sacrificing her hope for happiness, even sacrificing herself.
A century later, a distant relative crosses the globe to find the house of his ancestors. What he finds in the strange depression of the moor could change the course of his life forever.
One woman, one house, one hundred years.
Publication Date: 12th December 2017
Purchase links
Tall Chimneys
By Allie Cresswell
Today on my Blog I have the Enchanting New Book.....
Tall Chimneys
I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and Allie Cresswell for inviting me on the Blog Tour.
All the information you need about this beautiful book is below.
Followed by My Review and
Guest Post
Happy Reading!
πππππππππππππππ
Book Information
Considered a troublesome burden, Evelyn Talbot is banished by her family to their remote country house. Tall Chimneys is hidden in a damp and gloomy hollow. It is outmoded and inconvenient but Evelyn is determined to save it from the fate of so many stately homes at the time - abandonment or demolition.
Occasional echoes of tumult in the wider world reach their sequestered backwater - the strident cries of political extremists, a furore of royal scandal, rumblings of the European war machine. But their isolated spot seems largely untouched. At times life is hard - little more than survival. At times it feels enchanted, almost outside of time itself. The woman and the house shore each other up - until love comes calling, threatening to pull them asunder.
Her desertion will spell its demise, but saving Tall Chimneys could mean sacrificing her hope for happiness, even sacrificing herself.
A century later, a distant relative crosses the globe to find the house of his ancestors. What he finds in the strange depression of the moor could change the course of his life forever.
One woman, one house, one hundred years.
Purchase links
Amazon.com - http://amzn.to/2jT5UD7
πππππππππππππππ
My Review
5☆ Beautifully Captivating!
Tall Chimneys is a beautiful story capturing the essence of the life of Evelyn and her life within Tall Chimneys her family home.
All of the intricate details surrounding Tall Chimneys has been perfectly described.
The rooms, the period furniture, All the secret hidden hallways, the staff.
It reminds me a little of Downton Abbey, but Tall Chimneys seems to have an air of sadness surrounding it. It's not as homely as Downton.
Evelyn is the youngest of 7.
Her Father and Brother gets killed through the war.
Her mother soon after passes away.
Leaving Evelyn to be raised with her strict oldest sister & her two daughters.
However at the age of 18 Evelyn is left to return to Tall Chimneys to live with her brother & Sister -in -law.
However they don't really care about her and only return home to party!
Fighting off unwanted attention from Mr Ratton the renovation manager. He is a complete sleze ball. Made my skin crawl.
In doing so Evelyn decides to create a hideaway within the enchanting Gatehouse, where she spent many A happy childhood memory, learning to sew and bake.
She makes the Gatehouse her secret a Place she can let her creative juices flow!
After a while unknown to her the gorgeous artist John Cressing moves in to her hideaway and they soon strike up a beautiful/ romantic friendship.
I found Evelyn to be very endearing. All through her life she has never felt she really belonged and always felt unwanted.
She has had a tough start, her siblings don't really care about her, failed relationships and plenty of tragedy!
Tall Chimneys is an Enchanting captivating and endearing read, it's a story of Love, tragedy, Triumph, relationships, Family Drama, Social Class.
It is a long book but one that is well worth the read. Once you start reading you are quickly Swept away with the beautiful writing. The words simply jump off the page capturing your attention the whole way through!
I love historical fiction but this one has a saga feel to it that I'm sure would make for a great tv series.
Tall Chimneys is a beautiful story capturing the essence of the life of Evelyn and her life within Tall Chimneys her family home.
All of the intricate details surrounding Tall Chimneys has been perfectly described.
The rooms, the period furniture, All the secret hidden hallways, the staff.
It reminds me a little of Downton Abbey, but Tall Chimneys seems to have an air of sadness surrounding it. It's not as homely as Downton.
Evelyn is the youngest of 7.
Her Father and Brother gets killed through the war.
Her mother soon after passes away.
Leaving Evelyn to be raised with her strict oldest sister & her two daughters.
However at the age of 18 Evelyn is left to return to Tall Chimneys to live with her brother & Sister -in -law.
However they don't really care about her and only return home to party!
Fighting off unwanted attention from Mr Ratton the renovation manager. He is a complete sleze ball. Made my skin crawl.
In doing so Evelyn decides to create a hideaway within the enchanting Gatehouse, where she spent many A happy childhood memory, learning to sew and bake.
She makes the Gatehouse her secret a Place she can let her creative juices flow!
After a while unknown to her the gorgeous artist John Cressing moves in to her hideaway and they soon strike up a beautiful/ romantic friendship.
I found Evelyn to be very endearing. All through her life she has never felt she really belonged and always felt unwanted.
She has had a tough start, her siblings don't really care about her, failed relationships and plenty of tragedy!
Tall Chimneys is an Enchanting captivating and endearing read, it's a story of Love, tragedy, Triumph, relationships, Family Drama, Social Class.
It is a long book but one that is well worth the read. Once you start reading you are quickly Swept away with the beautiful writing. The words simply jump off the page capturing your attention the whole way through!
I love historical fiction but this one has a saga feel to it that I'm sure would make for a great tv series.
ππππππππππππππππ
Guest Post
Allie’s History of Reading.
I can recall Mum reading to me when I was a very little girl. The Ladybird books were great - there was one called Downy Duckling I particularly remember.
One night, when I was less than six, it was Dad’s turn to read the bedtime story. I had a compendium of stories and he turned to one called A Bird Can Fly.
‘You read it,’ he said.
And I did! Whether I was reading the words, or just remembering them, I don’t know, but I read the story from start to finish and felt amazing! It was a real ‘open sesame’ moment. The world of books was open!
I started to receive books as gifts; classics like The Secret Garden, The Narnia books and Stig of the Dump. I still have many of them today. I was never allowed to read any Enid Blyton - they were considered too poorly written. I did read them, of course, secretly, borrowed from the shelves of my friends and devoured early in the mornings before my parents were awake!
Mum started taking me to the library every week and before long I had read through the entire children’s fiction section. As a special dispensation the librarian allowed me an adult ticket and - under Mum’s close supervision of course - I was permitted to take books from the adult shelves. From Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers and Conan Doyle I progressed on to Jean Plaidy’s historical novels (how the words ‘breast’ and ‘thigh’ thrilled me!) and the wonderful storytellers so rarely read these days: Howard Spring, RL Delderfield and AJ Cronin. By age 16 I was reading Dickens, Austen and the Brontes.
It was no surprise to my parents that I wanted to study English Literature at University. I went to Birmingham in 1979 for my BA and did my MA at Queen Mary College, London. In those days, reading became something of a slog. It was not unusual to be sent away with tomes like Cancer Ward, War and Peace and The Ambassadors and be expected to come back the following week having read them all! I recall one tutorial when I hadn’t managed to finish Anna Karenina. The discussion droned on and on. All I wanted to do was shout out ‘For pity’s sake, tell me what happens in the end!’
For a time I taught literature to Lifelong learners. What a joy to introduce new readers to books like Emma and David Copperfield. My joy at watching their faces as the stories unfolded was like experiencing those books for the first time all over again.
These days I read for pleasure. I still love the classics - especially Anthony Trollope - but it is wonderful to discover new writers too. Donna Tartt is a favourite, and my newest discoveries are Elizabeth Strout and Laurel Saville, both excellent, literary writers.
As a writer myself I believe that reading broadens the mind, and gives us the opportunity to walk in others’ shoes. I have never been lost on a moor but I know what it feels like! Reading makes us kinder, more empathetic people. I hope it is these qualities that I bring to my writing. I write about ordinary people and everyday life, and all the wonderful, profound and curious things that can and do happen to people who may be your neighbours, your relatives or your friends.
ππππππππππππππππ
Author Bio
Allie Cresswell was born in Stockport, UK and began writing fiction as soon as she could hold a pencil.
She did a BA in English Literature at Birmingham University and an MA at Queen Mary College, London.
She has been a print-buyer, a pub landlady, a book-keeper, run a B & B and a group of boutique holiday cottages. Nowadays Allie writes full time having retired from teaching literature to lifelong learners.
She has two grown-up children, one granddaughter and two grandsons, is married to Tim and lives in Cumbria, NW England.
Tall Chimneys is the sixth of her novels to be published.
Twitter - https://twitter.com/Alliescribbler
πππππππππππππππππ
If you enjoyed my Blog post then please share so we can get everyone reading and Talking about...... Tall Chimneys!!
Follow along with the Blog Tour by checking out the Poster Below⬇
Happy Reading!!
ππππππππππππππππ







Comments
Post a Comment