Blog Tour - Sleeping Through War

Book Spotlight 





Sleeping Through War 
by Jackie Carreira




On my blog today I have the pleasure of 
sharing with you.........
Sleeping Through War 

I would like to thank Rachel Random Resources and  Jackie Carreira ​for inviting me on the blog tour 



πŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’Ÿ

Book Information 

The year is 1968. The world is changing. Students are protesting, civil rights are being fought and died for, nuclear bombs are being tested, and war is raging in Vietnam. For three women, life must go on as normal. For them, as it is for most ‘ordinary’ people, just to survive is an act of courage.
Rose must keep her dignity and compassion as a St Lucian nurse in London. Amalia must keep hoping that her son can escape their seedy life in Lisbon. And Mrs Johnson in Washington DC must keep writing to her son in Vietnam. She has no-one else to talk to. Three different women in three different countries. They work, they bring up children, they struggle to make ends meet while the world goes around and the papers print the news. History is written by the winners – and almost all of it has been written by men. The stories of women like these go unremarked and unwritten so often that we forget how important they are.


Purchase Links 
Any Purchase/Pre-order Links – 


πŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“š

Author Question and Answer Session 

What was the first book you remember reading?
The first book I think I read from cover to cover was Winnie The Pooh. I was six-years-old and had only just learnt to read (I was a late starter!). I loved the illustrations and the gentle, idyllic world that the characters inhabited. I was living in Hackney, East London at the time, so I was inhabiting a very different kind of world. However, it always was – and still is – a pleasure to get lost in a book about people and places that are completely different to one’s own. It’s like taking a holiday.

What book inspired you to write, and why?
There isn’t one book in particular that I could pick, but there are definitely authors that have inspired me. As a child, I adored Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, and the nonsense poems of Spike Milligan. I used to write my own silly poems, trying to emulate them, but they’ve all been lost in house moves and clear-outs, which is probably no loss to the literary world! As an adult, I was massively inspired to write by John Steinbeck and Kurt Vonnegut. They both have a devastatingly simple way of conveying deeply human issues, social injustice, and universal questions, often with humour and always with great humanity. 

If you could write the book of any film, what would it be?
That’s an easy one! It would be Twelve Angry Men. (The black and white version with Henry Fonda, and not the remake!) I believe it was originally written as a play for TV, so there has never been a book version. However, the movie is so perfect that I don’t think I could ever improve it with a book. In fact, come to think of it, I wouldn’t even try to write it as a book, but I really, really wish I’d written the screenplay. Definitely one of my favourite films ever. I think I have to go and watch it again now....

What book would you like to see turned into a film?
...OK, I’m back. (I love that film!) There are lots of books that would be great on screen, including my own, of course (film rights are available!). I’d love to see Cannery Row by John Steinbeck, Shikasta by Doris Lessing, and Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. These are just the first three that came to mind, but I think all of them would stand the test of time because they deal with fundamental, universal issues. They all have a great cast of colourful characters too. 
PS: If any of these books have already been made into films, I’d love to know about it!

It’s said to ‘Write what you know.’ Do you agree? Why?
To a large degree, I think it’s impossible NOT to write what you know. Everything that comes out of a writer has to have gone in first. (I’m sure there’s some law of physics that confirms that, but I wouldn’t have a clue what it was!) I really think the best writers are those who are good watchers and listeners. Of course, some writing is pure imagination – Lewis Carroll is a great example – but even that had to come from somewhere. Looking at a subject from a new angle, or replacing something with the bizarre or unexpected still takes a lot of observation and experience. If you want to be a good writer, here’s a little tip: Listen well, watch with curiosity, and find ways to store all the interesting things that you come across, no matter how small. I once followed a man into a train station just because his half of the phone conversation he was having was so fascinating that I wanted to hear more...and I wasn’t even catching a train! Keep a notebook or diary or record what you come across in a way that suits you, because it’s surprisingly easy to forget an inspired idea or story if you don’t write it down. What comes out must first go in, so a writer like me is always looking for ways to catch as much of life as possible while there’s still time.



πŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’Ÿ

Author Bio

Jackie Carreira is an award-winning novelist, playwright, musician, designer, and co-founder of QuirkHouse Theatre Company. A true renaissance woman, or a Jack of All Trades? The jury’s still out on that one. She grew up in Hackney, East London, but spent part of her early childhood in Lisbon’s Old Quarter. Sleeping Through War was inspired, in part, by some of the women she met when she was young. One of her favourite places to write is the coffee shops of railway stations. Her second novel, The Seventh Train (published by Matador in 2019) was born in the cafΓ© at Paddington Station. Jackie now lives in Suffolk with an actor, two cats and not enough book shelves.


Social Media Links   

πŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’Ÿ

If you enjoyed My Post then please Share so we can get Everyone Reading and Talking about.......Sleeping Through War  by Jackie Carreira

You can also follow along with the Blog Tour by Checking out the Poster Below ⬇️




πŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’ŸπŸ“šπŸ’Ÿ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Tour - The Klangaroo

Netgalley Review - The Little Board Game CafΓ©

Netgalley Review - The Teacher by Danielle Stewart -